Easter can be a challenging time for people who try and avoid sugar and chocolate, so I thought I would share my zesty bliss balls with you. They are really easy to make and packed full of nutrients, so what’s not to like about them?!
Whilst they are devoid of refined sugar, it’s important to remember that dates are still really high in natural sugar, so make sure to only enjoy one at a time (note to self!).
Dates are a good source of fibre, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6, iron and calcium. I love the combination of dates with Brazil nuts and what’s better still is that Brazil nuts are one of the best sources of selenium that you can find. Selenium supports immune function whilst offering antioxidant properties. Selenium is also an essential mineral needed to make thyroid hormones. I always try and enjoy 3-4 Brazil nuts a day to ensure that I get my daily dose of selenium.
- 400g Medjool Dates
- 300g Brazil Nuts
- 2 tbsp Almond Butter (I use Pip&Nut)
- 1 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Powder
- Desiccated Coconut (optional)
- Zest from 1-2 oranges (I like to use 2)
- Put the Brazil nuts in a food processor and process until fairly fine. I enjoy mine with chunky bits in
- Add the pitted dates and process for a few minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process for a little bit longer
- Roll the mixture into balls and then roll each ball in some desiccated coconut
- Pop them straight in the fridge or enjoy them at room temperature (my preference)
- Make sure to store them in the fridge.
Wishing you all a Happy Easter.