Jump to recipe
Who doesn’t love millionaire’s shortbread?!
I started typing a long blog post, but in all honesty, there is nothing to say, other than try them! I created this recipe over four years ago and they never fail to impress! As they say the proof is in the pudding! They are truly delicious, so enjoy.
TWJ Millionaire Shortbread
If you want to reduce the sugar content, you can make your own chocolate for the topping. I often do this and it works a dream.
- 100g hazelnuts
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp local honey
- 15 medjool dates pitted
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 150g 70% chocolate (I use Lindt)
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C.
- Pit the dates and cover with boiling water. Leave to stand whilst you make the shortbread.
- Melt the coconut oil
- Stir in the honey
- Put the hazelnuts, ground almonds in a food processor and process until slightly coarser than breadcrumbs.
- Add the melted coconut oil with honey and mix by hand
- Line a square brownie tin with parchment paper
- Create an even layer of 'shortbread' in the lined tin
- Bake for 10 minutes tops. You can start checking around 8 minutes. You don't want it to get too brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to partially cool.
- Whilst your shortbread is baking start make the 'caramel' filling.
- Drain the soaked dates and add to a food processor
- Add the almond butter, coconut oil and vanilla extract
- Process this until it is completely smooth. You don't want any lumps, so scrape the sides throughout the process to avoid any lumps.
- Spread the caramel layer over the shortbread
- Next make your chocolate topping
- Break the chocolate into blocks and then melt using a double boiler method
- Add the coconut milk (I use ordinary coconut milk and NOT from a tin)
- Once melted, pour over the caramel layer and smooth out.
- Pop it in the fridge, let it set for 45 minutes. Remove from the fridge, cut into squares (16) and then pop back in the fridge to finish setting.
Enjoy and please leave me a comment as I would love to know your thoughts.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!