This mornings breakfast is such a good example of an easy breakfast to pop in a mason jar and take to work. One thing we see in clinic is that people who work often struggle to have sufficient time to enjoy a variety of breakfasts throughout the week and one thing I can’t stress enough is that variety is KEY! Our bodies really do need as much variety in food as we can possibly give it.
Chia seeds are so easy to use, you can either grind them or soak them. They offer really good levels of protein, fibre, omega 3 & 6, calcium, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, copper and vitamins A, B, E, D. One of the major benefits of chia seeds is that it holds around 10 X its own weight in water, which means it will prolong hydration and improve nutrient absorption of electrolytes. It really is classed as a superfood as it offers so many wonderful benefits.
For the coconut yoghurt, I like to use Coconut Collaborative.
In case you were wondering why I heat the berries instead of just defrosting them overnight, because it increases their sweetness.
- 1.5 tbsp Of Chia Seeds
- 250 ml Almond Milk
- 1/2 Vanilla Pod Opened & Scraped
- 1/2 bag frozen blueberries
- Soak the Chia seeds overnight. I like to make mine around dinner time as it gives me time to stir it a couple of times before going to bed. Chia seeds stick together, so make sure you stir it!
- I also leave in the vanilla scrapings and pod for extra flavour and sweetness.
- For the berry compote - put half/full bag of frozen blueberries into a pan, put on a low heat and let the berries slowly defrost and heat up. I like to bring them to a very low boil and then remove them from the heat. Let the berries cool completely before putting them back in the fridge.
- The following morning, remove your chia pudding and berry compote from the fridge.
- Start filing your mason jar or bowl with layers of the chia pudding, coconut yoghurt, berry compote, walnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
- You can also add a little nutty granola for some added texture and flavour.